Monday, December 10, 2012

Taking on Wittgenstein

Ludwig Wittgenstein in 1947. Photo: Ben Richards
From Wikipedia

From the Archives
Especially revived for my friends of the Temenos Association at the Madrid School of Architecture, I've republished Exegesis, an essay I wrote in 1992 for an exhibition by my compañera de vida, Amelia Moreno and our good friend Rosa Gimeno.

For those working on the TGA or General Theory of Architecture and other adventures it will look like baby steps, but it was the first time I started to think seriously for myself about the problems and limits of logic and the structures of alternate ways of thinking.

I was annoyed at the time by people in the arts with a pseudo-scientific discourse and decided to outgun them with Wittgenstein, the presocratics and the rest, "for fun" and "so there," so please don't take the serious tone of the text or its resounding pronouncements too seriously. The pseudos were suitably impressed and no one else has called me on it for the simple reason that no one has seen it since.

The first lines:
 "The world is all that is the case," says Ludwig Wittgenstein in the first line of his Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus. What then is "All that is not the case?"

EXEGESIS
Exhibition catalog text
Amelia Moreno - Rosa Gimeno
School of Applied Arts, Ávila, Spain
May 1992

No comments:

Post a Comment